iheartfruit.com

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: monkey's journal ...  (Read 61590 times)

monkey

• View Profile
monkey's journal ...
« on: September 19, 2016, 06:47:17 AM »

WED14SEP2016
it’s just over 4 weeks since i decided to try to go fruitarian again.  after a period of 1 year being fruitarian, about 3 years ago now, i’ve struggled to get back to this diet.  mostly, i think, the reasons have been psychological, rather than physiological.  it’s just too easy to eat comfort foods when i’m feeling a bit down.  this time i’ve decided to take a slightly different approach.  i’m sticking to all organic fruits, and vegetable fruits, and abstaining from any water.  i’m also, to date, avoiding anything dried or cooked.  i started with just black grapes.  i did 2 weeks of that and then decided to add a bit of variety by including apples, oranges, courgettes and tomatoes.  i’ve also, now, added avocados and nectarines, though these have come from an organic supplier as they aren’t currently available in any of the supermarkets i’ve tried.  sadly, the variety of organic fruit in supermarkets has substantially declined since i was last fruitarian.  at the moment i’m just taking this on a day to day basis.  i’m not really sure what i want to achieve, though i do recall that i used to sleep far better when i was on this diet previously.  i think my main motivation is simply to be happier with my diet.  and, certainly, the happiest i’ve ever been, diet wise, was as a fruitarian.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:39:15 PM by monkey »

fruitbat

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lovers of the World.
Re: monkey's journal ...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:21:37 AM »

Dear Monkey 💖
Thank you very much for joining us here and sharing your experiences.

Wishing you all the Best on your Fruitful Path 💖
Love and Peaches,
from Anne XX 💖

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 09:43:13 PM »

SUN18SEP2016
my all organic stance has slightly slipped.  i’ve succumbed to some non-organic avocados and lemons, mainly because of difficulty getting them organic.  but i’m still going to try to eat organic fruits, and fruit vegetables, wherever possible.  i particularly like avocado and lemon juice mixed together.  hence the temptation, i guess.  however, i’m going to try not to eat too many avocadoes, as i’ve found in the past that they can be quite addictive.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:38:24 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 07:11:04 AM »

SAT18MAR2017
since my last post here my life has changed dramatically.  towards the end of last year my father had a fall.  this left me caring for my mother.  as my father is now home again i'm caring for both of them.  needless to say, my diet took something of a backseat to all of this.  i just didn't have the time or the energy to keep strictly to a fruitarian diet.  however, now things have become more settled i'm once again trying to get back to a fruitarian diet.  mostly i'm eating red grapes, yellow nectarines and avocados with lemon juice.  i'd have to say that i still find this diet quite challenging on my very limited budget.  and good fruit is still hard to find, hence my rather limited selection.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:37:03 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2017, 07:37:07 PM »

TUE04APR2017
since my last post here i've felt the need to drink water with lemon juice.  possibly this is just a consequence of eating too many avocados.  if i were eating more juicy fruit, i'm sure this wouldn't be necessary.  i'm trying to broaden the variety of fruit that i eat, though mainly it's much the same as previously.  i've also been considering whether or not i should supplement.  i have to say that i'm completely undecided.  rationally i think that perhaps i should.  emotionally i'm less convinced.  so, at the moment i've done nothing about it.  i guess the thing that's stopping me most is that i've found it so easy to slip back into being fruitarian.  i just don't feel the need to supplement at the moment.  and i wouldn't want to do it long term anyway.  so, i guess i'll just wait and see if the need arises.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:36:00 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:45:58 PM »

FRI07APR2017
i had some cherries and raspberries recently.  these are quite expensive for their weight.  nevertheless, a nice change from my usual fruit.  i'm sure i'm spending well over my £50 per week budget.  i think it's nearer £70 per week, or £10 per day.  4 avocadoes are £1 each.  6 nectarines are £2 for 3.  red or black grapes are £2 for 500g.  so, that's £10, excluding lemons.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:35:18 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 08:10:34 PM »

WED12APR2017
since my last post, i've realised that trying to be fruitarian on a budget is just adding to the risk of failure.  it creates a psychological pressure to eat as cheaply as possible.  a mistake i made on a previous attempt was to eat too many vegetable fruits, namely tomatoes and courgettes (zucchinis), which aren't very nutritious.  at the moment i'm avoiding vegetable fruits for just that reason.  i'm also not trying to eat organically, primarily because of availability but secondarily because a lot of organic produce is now ironically inferior to non-organic.  for me, just at the moment, i think it's more important to succeed at being fruitarian than have the added issue of trying to be organic too.  perhaps later, when i'm confident that i've succeeded in that goal, i'll aim to be organic too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:34:42 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 12:09:47 PM »

FRI14APR2017
i'm continuing to expand the range of fruit that i'm eating.  i was pleasantly surprised to find that i could eat pineapple without it being too acidic.  i also now realise that a partial reason for this acidity is due to a lack of ripeness.  and i've found that the end of the kitchen knife that i broke the tip off is handy for digging under nectarine stones, as it doesn't dig into the stone.  i'm thinking about doing a wet fast one weekend.  i don't want to rush into this, as i feel that i want to ease myself back into being fruitarian as much as possible.  nevertheless, the temptation is certainly there.  at the moment i'm drinking boiled tap water, which isn't ideal.  in theory boiling removes any chlorine and fluorine present.  i should definitely buy some low residual mass spring water, however, lugging it home is a bit off-putting.  i'm having to carry quite enough shopping as it is, as i now shop for my parents too.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:34:06 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »

TUE18APR2017
it's now a month into my latest attempt at being fruitarian.  oddly enough, i feel quite confident, after all i did it for a year previously.  as something of a consequence of deluging my avocados with lemon juice i've become very accustomed to the taste of lemon juice now, so much so that i've found that i can easily drink undiluted lemon juice.  i must admit that i always thought it was odd to have a fruit that couldn't be eaten in its pure and unadulterated state.  perhaps it, in fact, can?  i intend to find out!  so far i've only done this using a single lemon.  my intention is to try drinking a 250ml glass of undiluted lemon juice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:33:15 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:27:54 AM »

SAT29APR2017
the latest addition to my fruitarian diet is freshly squeezed orange juice.  i'm drinking about a litre a day.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:32:23 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 04:28:03 PM »

THU18MAY2017
it's now 2 months into my latest attempt at being fruitarian.  so far it's been really easy.  i can't say that i'm suffering from any cravings for comfort foods.  indeed, i really enjoy eating just fruit.  nevertheless, it does strike me that i ought to mention detox.  i can't say that i've had any severe detox symptoms this time, possibly because i've not built up many toxins since my last period of being fruitarian.  the most unusual thing that i've noticed is that occasionally my phlegm has blood in it.  and not just a bit.  it's bright red.  i'll guess this is coming from my lungs.  quite why, i've no idea.  the most annoying detox symptom is the cramps that i get in my legs.  these can be rather uncomfortable, though they are relatively infrequent.  i've not had any skin rashes this time, like i did previously, only a small slightly yellow area just above my right armpit, which has gone now.  and that's it, so far.  i have to confess that the reason that i've put off drinking a 250ml glass of lemon juice is that i'm a little concerned that it might cause severe cramps in my legs.  however, having written that, i decided i really ought to do so.  4.5 quite large lemons yielded 255g of lemon juice.  i decided to try to savour it, rather than just gulping it down.  the flavour is quite intense.  it has a slightly oily taste and a warmth to it a little like whisky.  all in all, not an unpleasant experience.   finally, i should add that i've lost quite a lot of weight.  i'll guess about 20Kg.  that's not unusual, as last time i lost a third of my body weight and went from a 36" to a 32" waist.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:31:39 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »

MON22MAY2017
yesterday i ran out of avocadoes that were soft enough to eat.  in desperation i bought 4 large fuerte, rather than hass, avocadoes that were very soft.  i have to say that i'm not that inspired by the fuerte.  it simply lacks the rich flavour of the hass, and even these vary quite significantly.  i've found that the ones that have the best flavour are the darkest green, a scarab green, which is almost black.  also, they have a more greeny yellow flesh, rather than the creamy yellow flesh of the fuerte.  i've been pondering, a little, the ideal avocado to lemon juice ratio.  usually, i just fill the stone hole with lemon juice but stones vary in size so much that this is hardly consistent, especially for very small stones, and i do like plenty of lemon juice with my avocado.  perhaps there is no ideal here.  nevertheless, i do find that it help to try to achieve some balance of flavours.  this seems to me to be somewhere in the medium to large stone range.  i really doubt i'd enjoy this diet anywhere near as much without being able to eat avocadoes, they really are that essential.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:30:49 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 04:31:37 AM »

THU25MAY2017
i've been thinking about why my previous attempts at being fruitarian haven't lasted.  in particular, why after a year of being fruitarian i stopped.  undoubtedly, a significant factor at that time was social eating.  i used to think that the occasional non-fruitarian meal, in the larger scheme of things, wouldn't really matter.  i now think that this just leads to sliding back into old dietary habits.  it also seems to me that the longer one is fruitarian the more one gets a taste for fruit.  deviating from a purely fruitarian diet, even occasionally, seems to diminish that development.  also, no doubt, confidence and determination play large parts.  without the confidence that a fruitarian diet is adequate one is always worrying about whether one is getting enough vitamin B12 or calcium or iron or whatever.  and without determination one is so easily led astray.  i remember that when i first tried to become fruitarian i encountered a lot of criticism from my family and friends.  it's just not possible to weather such criticism without the determination to keep going.  fortunately, i don't have that criticism now, though i don't have a number of friends that were critical of my dietary choice in my life anymore either.  by and large, it seems my family have tired of telling me how inadequate my diet is, with the exception of the occasional side swipe.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:29:57 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:52:10 PM »

SAT27MAY2017
it's hot here.  really hot.  just the kind of weather for enjoying sweet juicy refreshing fruit.  now, my recent musings over my diet have led me to think about supplements.  when i was previously fruitarian i was taking a high quality multi-vitamin.  this time i've decided not to supplement.  ultimately, i just don't feel i ought to need supplements if a fruitarian diet is an adequate one.  however, i do think that supplementing can be very helpful when transitioning to a fruitarian diet, especially if doing so from a significantly less refined diet, for want of a better expression.  part of the reason for this is that it takes time for the body to rid itself of toxins and regenerate, and this is the time when supplements can be beneficial.  but after such a time they shouldn't be necessary.  when i last looked at this issue i found an utterly baffling number of opinions, primarily on the internet.  the subject of vitamin B12, in particular, is quite scary, with people telling you that you must supplement or risk nervous system damage.  my own opinion is that provided you're aware of the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency, you can quite happily not supplement until such symptoms arise, if ever.  i actually believe that the body does have the ability to create and absorb sufficient vitamin B12 for its needs, however, this isn't apparent because most people have lost this ability through their dietary choices.  that said, i do suspect that the way we fail to re-cycle our own waste is not ideal.  if we used it as fertiliser to grow our own fruit, that fruit would absorb the vitamin B12 that we produce in our gut but don't absorb and we would then consume it.  my dream is to have a smallholding sufficient to meet my own needs, and do just this.  maybe one day.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:29:19 PM by monkey »

monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »

WED31MAY2017
just out of curiosity, i tried on a pair of 30" waist trousers yesterday.  i was a little surprised to find that they fitted.  this prompted me to weigh myself, as i don't usually take much interest in my weight.  72Kg.  so, my guess that i'd lost about 20Kg was about right.  possibly 24Kg.  in the space of 10 weeks, this seems to me to have been fairly rapid.  i know there's still some fat left on me, so i imagine this will drop further.  possibly by another 10Kg.  it's worth noting that i've lost this weight whilst eating between 4 and 6 large avocadoes pretty much every day.  i think the critical part of this weight loss is simply consuming the nutrition necessary for the body to burn the fat.  that's what a fruitarian diet does very well indeed.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 09:28:27 PM by monkey »
Pages: [1] 2 3